[Shotimes] OT disgusting SB halftime

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:01:28 -0500

You got it!!  I don't understand where "the children" get thrown in as an
issue....where is it written that shows should be OK for children?

Anyway, many of you should read the whole article about the Super Bowl and
the state of professional football in general in last Friday's WSJ (Wall
Street Journal).

In light of that article, what you saw on Sunday makes perfect sense.
Through the NFLs own studies, they are finding that they are not growing
their "core audience", in that the viewership of 14-34 year-old males (or
ages close to that range), has been shrinking over the last few years. Also
that the NFL broadcasts have been behind-the-times in adopting new
technology to attract the video-game generation.

From: Heath LaRue [mailto:hnlarue@charter.net]
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 1:54 PM
To: 'Donald Mallinson'; 'SHOtimes Mailing List'; v8sho@v8sho.com
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] OT disgusting SB halftime

Not about to get on that censorship band wagon. ALL WE NEED IS A LITTLE
MORE GOVERNMENT CONTROL TO KEEP THE FLOCK IN STEP.

I don't like or condone all that I see coming out of the boob tube(I
crack myself up) but then I exorcize my right to thumb the power button,
Send my children to go watch nickelodeon. Or just gripe about the
current state of moral decay. However low we as a people have become
bigger government, further erosion of the 1st amendment rights, and big
brother evasion of my castle is not the answer.

What did you really expect to be the grand finally to a sexually charged
dance routine in today's ever increasing media frenzy to out do and go
over the top to shock the public for Nielsen ratings?

In case you've forgot this is a capitalist society, it's all about the
dollar and sex sells. Does this mean we sell our morals, virtue and our
very souls in an effort to make more than the next guy? To some yea,
sure they do. To me and mine, we turn it off; I am the censor of my
home. Not Uncle Sam! You want to send a message don't watch it next
year! But creating negative hype just increases the popularity and
notoriety. Bad publicity is still publicity. Remember 2 Live Crew (late
eighty's foul mouth rap group Luther Campbell aka Luke Skywalker) a
whole generation of youth would have never heard of them, my self
included, had it not been for bad publicity. And instead they got richer
from it all, and made more albums and CD's.

SO what will a letter to your council man or women do? I don't know. But
I know what it did in the past. Instead I would recommend exercising
your right to not patronize those that offend you, instead of trying to
curb the rights of others, and censor me and protect me from the world.

Some day you might also have something to say that is not of popular
opinion. I will then also stand up and protect your freedoms of
expression, speech and press.

Thank you every body
Good night

Heath LaRue
97 Black 103K weld condition unknown as of yet.