[Shotimes] Re: Torqued-Out Trannies (No XXX-Rated Content Though)

MonsieurBoo@aol.com MonsieurBoo@aol.com
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:27:49 EST

"The C4 & C6 were great......as were the bulk of the Big 3s RWD trannies (727
TF, 350 & 400 TH, etc)."

"They all have fallen off the cliff in FWD trannies. Only exception seems to
be the big FWD ATX in the STS and similar GM cars.....but as I understand it
is a BIG and heavy SOB."

Well, I'm pretty old school and still have a soft spot for anything where the
wheels that steer the car and those that move the car aren't the same wheels!
 So natch I love those stout old C6s especially when bolted up to something
like a 351 Boss, CJ or side oiler.

However, in all honesty I have to point out the 1970 Cadillac Eldorado with
its colossal 500 CID mill, the largest production passenger-car engine ever,
cranking out 400 horsepower and 550 lbs/ft of torque -- and of course a boat
anchor of a FWD ATX.  Those suckers could pull the weight though!!

I recall one time in the mid 70s I was hiking back in the mountains behind my
house in Hawaii, this was a jeep trail that turned into a gully and about
half a mile up the gully I came around a bend and there was an Eldo that someone
had swiped and joy ridden all the way up there somehow.  It wasn't the
drivetrain that gave out either -- he high centered it on a rock under the driver's
seat.  It's sat there rusting ever since, because it'd take a helicopter to
yank it out.  They've gotta let it rust away until it gets light enough I guess.

Oh well, that's the "heavy metal" era but I sure have lots of fun moshin' it
up nowadays with my SHO!

cheers,
Mark LaBarre
'94 125k ATX