[Shotimes] Re: Torqued-Out Trannies

kerbyh@netzero.net kerbyh@netzero.net
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:14:30 GMT

WEll, yes, styling was part a good part of it, but let's just say there was less room to work than there would have been otherwise.

I've never been a GM man, but a first Gen Toronado has always appealed to me.  Never been anything styled like it.

Kerby

-- MonsieurBoo@aol.com wrote:
Kerby:  "If I remember right, that big ol FWD tranny was a modified RWD
tranny.  That's why the front of those Eldo's and Toronado's were so friggen long.
They needed lots of space up there.  The problem comes when you try to put
the entire drivetrain in a space designed to hold laptop computer.  Something
has to give, and its usually the tranny."

Boy howdy, ain't that the truth.  The Eldo/Toro trans was basically a TH-400
(renamed the TH-425) split aft of the torque converter, with the tail part
reversed and mounted alongside the driver's side of the engine with the output
shaft facing forward. The torque converter's mounted on the flywheel in its
normal location at the rear of the engine and a special, pre-stretched chain drive
couples the engine to the trans. Yep, a chain -- prestretching it did away
with the need for an idler, and they hardly ever broke!  The differential is
mounted at the end of the trans (about under the #3 spark plug), with the right
side half shaft running under the oil pan.

Yes, the hood was long but I'm not 100% sure it was all due to the
powertrain.  (It's been many moons since I peeked under the hood of one, but almost
everything in those days still had working room in there...)

After all, my '73 T-Bird had a hood the size of a carrier deck and no FWD
excuse for the styling <GRIN>

Having already stated my ole-timey prejudice for front wheels steering, rear
wheels motivating, I have to add that before getting interested in SHOs I
looked at a lot of cop Crown Vics and decided that they might be stout, but on the
road they're scows compared with the SHO.

cheers
Mark LaBarre
94 ATX 125k