[Shotimes] OT - Preload on a LSD

Paul L Fisher sho@paul-fisher.com
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:50:05 -0600

Here are the installation instructions.
http://www.peloquins.com/installation_80.html It basically sounds like
taking out some shims. The kit is <$100.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Murray [mailto:fordsho@cloud9grafx.com]
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 10:45 AM
To: 'Paul L Fisher'; SHOTimes
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] OT - Preload on a LSD

Sounds like it's a real clutch diff.  IPT advertised their diff as one, but
the clutch faces were the actual diff housings.  A real one has many plates
with different textures on each side.  Depending on what side the disks are
touching eachother on, they grab eachother with the aid of the diff fluid
and prevent slipping.  Many aftermarket diffs for RWD imports and some
domestics are like this.  If you can buy new clutch disks for your car, it
might be a pretty good idea, just remember they do need to be rebuilt after
a certain amount of miles (~50k), but it depends on the use it gets.
Research it some more first and make sure that's actually what you are
getting, and check and see what the actual diff life is and how frequent the
clutches need to be replaced and rebuilt.

Bill Murray