[Shotimes] separating lenses from lamp housings

van Oss van Oss" <vanOss@centurytel.net
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:02:45 -0600

Not sure if anybody wants to know this...

For a custom project I am developing, I have been experimenting with
removing Gen2 tail-lamp lenses from lamp housings.  It's a matter of using
heat to soften the sealant/glue.  I'm getting consistently good results with
the following process.  The trick is to use a low temp and let it sit in the
oven long enough to absorb the heat slowly.

1. Set oven to 210 F.
2. When oven reaches temp, turn it off and insert lamp.  Set timer for 20
minutes.
3. Remove from oven (will be warm to touch).
4. Use a flat-blade screwdriver to gently pry the lens away from the
housing.  Relax and take it easy; the glue will remain soft for several
minutes.  Begin at the lower inboard corner, and work your way along the
bottom seam about a foot or so.  Then flip the lamp and, again starting from
the inboard end, work your way along the top seam.  Be especially gentle and
careful as you work your way around the curve to the side reflector.

The lamp is easier to reassemble if you get the old glue off both pieces.
Most of it will be on the housing.  It may be easier to remove the glue if
you follow the same heating procedure to warm it again.

Joseph van Oss