[Shotimes] Finally some SHO activity around here, or (alt. subject) Nunnally's THE MAN!!!

George Fourchy krazgeo@jps.net
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:33:15 -0800

After 6 months of sitting in the garage untouched, except for 2 hours of fiddling
with wires way back in October some time, the Lowrider went in to the stereo shop
today, and Diamond, its replacement, came home, after sitting there since December
with its new R134 a/c system.  They both ran fine....both were smogged this week.
As many know, California's new smog check routine for high population counties
includes the dyno run, at two speeds, 15 mph and 25 mph.  I was scared to death that
neither one would pass, since they are so old and have been sitting so long, and
many other folks here are having problems.

Lowrider passed fine, other than pushing the envelope with HCs, measuring 116 ppm
out of 116 ppm allowed at 15 mph.  Its second gen original SHOShop Y-pipe has about
125K miles or so, so I suppose the cats are getting tired.  NOX was the big worry,
but it did fine with that, measuring 535 out of 791 ppm at 15 mph, and 205 out of
730 at 25 mph.

Diamond, on the other hand......I had NO idea how it would do.  But I'm here to tell
you.....Mark Nunnally can put an engine together.....there's no doubt about that.
It measured basically NO 02 at either speed, 10/12 (+/-100 allowed) ppm of HC at
15/25 mph, no CO at either speed, and.....57/94 NOX.  That's 7% of allowable NOX at
15, and 12.8% at 25.  Looks like this car will be on the road for a looooong time.

It is now ready for its new interior (thanks, Josh!), getting the trunk lid drilled
for the spoiler, and swapping the tires to the black slicers from the chrome ones.
Then some cleanup, some Tokikos, some good tunes, a quick black clearcoat paintjob,
and a trip to the dealer (argh!) to fix the pesky cruise control, and we're ready!!

It sure felt good to drive a SHO today.....it's been a long, long time.

George