[Shotimes] Wheel removal without lug nut key

Alan Fanning Awfanning@earthlink.net
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:16:43 -0800

While junkyard prowling today, I found a '94 wagon today with calipers and
front knuckles still intact. Bagging the passenger side was a snap since the
axle had already been removed, but the driver's side will be a little more
difficult - it still has the wheel on and there is a lug nut lock on it.
Looked inside for the key to no avail. Tried my sockets to see if one might
be a tight fit and could be hammered on with the 2 lb sledge I had along. No
luck there.

What other ideas do we have? Here are some I'm considering...

o   using some Kroil lubricant, try to get the nut to turn by whacking it
with my 2 lb sledge and a cold chisel, or the Papa Bear sized channel locks.

o   take a small propane cylinder and heat the lug nut and stud, hoping they
expand enough to loosen up a little.

o   buy the knuckle with the wheel attached, and separate the two at home
(too easy, and what would I do with the wheel?)

Anybody got a simple solution? Other than finding another car? I like a good
challenge from time to time - I drive a SHO, after all!

    Alan