[Shotimes] interchangeable parts

Steve Tatro stevetatro@netzero.com
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:22:30 GMT

They're physically the same piece, but what you may not realize is that the accumulator sometimes (usually?) comes with the oil already inside.

What this means is that you'll want to buy one with the proper oil for the refrigerent you plan to use.  If you're converting from R12 to R134a, or if you already have R134a, buy the '94-95 piece, as it may come with the PAG (polyalkylene glycol) inside.  If you have R12 and are sticking with R12, you probably want to buy the piece with the R12-compatible mineral oil.

I recently replaced my compressor/clutch, accumulator, etc. and converted from R12 to R134a.  I didn't know then what I know now, and I had no idea what oil came inside my accumulator.  To be safe, when I got everything replaced, I did a complete evacuation of the system and put brand new oil and refrigerent in.  If you want to avoid having to do this, buy the right part!

Good news: I'm a mechanical moron and was able to do all the above-mentioned A/C work myself.  You should have no problem replacing the accumulator ;^)

Take care,

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 175k miles
Monroe, Ohio

-- "matt S" <poissonverte2@hotmail.com> wrote:
Are the 89-93 Accumulator/drier the same as the 94-95 accumulator/drier's???
  Im guessing the 3.0 sho is the same as the 3.2 sho at least, since
autozone has the same part number for both, but Im not sure between the
years.. Im guessing its all the same???

matt