[Shotimes] poor man's white rims

DAVID PILLSBURY cobraii976@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 07:10:37 -0800 (PST)

I stripped the clear coat off my wifes ARE's for her LeBaron then shot them with etching primer. Sprayed them with Imron in white and they have never chipped. The cost of Imron is out there but I had some left over from another car. But I highly suggest the etching primer makes for a nice paint bond on the alloy.
Dave

Donald Mallinson <dmall@mwonline.net> wrote:
Joseph,

clearcoat is just paint. Use a pre-cleaner to remove all
traces of oil or wax BEFORE sanding, and then again AFTER
sanding.

Use a primer, white if you can find it, and finally, apply
your paint. You can clearcoat THAT paint if you want, but
it isn't necessary, just another layer to possibly chip.
Buy the paint with that in mind though.

I have re-painted wheels for a long time myself, and
although i think primer is a good idea, I have almost never
used it when painting over good solid previous paint. And
never had a problem. In your case, a white primer would
help hide chips that might show the silver paint underneath.

Don Mallinson