[Shotimes] SHO SUPERCHARGER for SALE..

Kevin & Cheryl Airth clubairth@peoplepc.com
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:58:12 -0600

I think it can work but he seems to have some serious wrong information on
the web site.

 15% failure rate for turbochargers? What junk were they selling? Turbo's
have been used in stock vehicles for years and came from the heavy class 8
truck industry where durability is a must. So this statement brings up major
questions. Incorrect installation? Used or rebuilt Turbo's? Do you think
Subaru is replacing 15% of the WRX's turbo's? How about Porsche? If they
have this high of a failure rate I wonder how many of the electric models
will fail?

 His statement that Turbo's "Stress" the engine is true but boost is boost
and the engine does not know if it's from a Turbo a mechanical supercharger
or a electrical supercharger. Plus he misses THE major point in Turbo's and
why they were first installed on heavy trucks. Turbo's reclaim a portion of
the heat energy that is wasted flowing out the engines exhaust. This
increases the Carnot or heat efficiency of that engine. So you get more
power with less fuel. If the engine was not built to withstand the
additional manifold pressure it will wear out quicker, that's just common
sense. Just look at what the factories do when they add a Turbo to an
engine.

You must compensate for the increased airflow. As a rule of thumb a 14.7 psi
(1 ATM or 1 BAR) boost is equivalent to doubling your engine displacement.
So you must roughly double the fuel flow while under boost conditions. They
do mention an additional fuel injector or FMU (Fuel Management Unit). This
is a band aid approach that raises the fuel pressure when boost is used.
This works OK depending on the application but is not optimum. Injectors are
designed to flow at a certain pressure and increasing the fuel pressure will
increase fuel thru the injectors but you really need to check your injectors
at that pressure to make sure. If not then you get into the same problem as
with Nitrous. Instantous lean conditions can and will melt holes in your
pistons. If your real lucky you might burn off the spark plug electrode
first! 20 psi boost would roughly require fuel flow 2.3 times the fuel flow
as the same size engine unboosted.
So maybe their kit does compensate for this. They were offering rides in the
test bed Altima but are not now? They have a running car which is pretty
positive! But it just seems too simple? No mention of a chip or A/F ratio
sensor to make sure you don't lean out or a manifold pressure sensor for
feedback to the PCM. Most (if not ALL) stock sensors won't handle pressures
above 1 BAR. Now he might be keeping some information to himself because of
competitive reason's? They do recomend keeping the boost to 7 psi. This
would reduce the amount of additional fuel needed to about 50% more.

 I do think the capacitor bank instead of a battery pack would make it more
usable for the street. But the amount of current required seems to be a LOT!

Anyone hear of the Hawker battery they mention?
.
.
.