[Shotimes] (OT) rubber freeze plugs

DAVID PILLSBURY cobraii976@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:48:19 -0800 (PST)

Well they are a temp fix and not a very good one at that. The only place I've ever seen them factory installed is in my boat and they only use one to drain the block with. Which I have to replace every year when I put it away for the winter. My big question would be what happened to the 3 freeze plugs to begin with and if your going to drop the pan you may as well put the right freeze plugs in. Save some time and hassle doing this again down the road. Or worse having one come out while driving.
Dave

kerbyh@netzero.net wrote:
They are meant for temp fixes, not permanent. You have already seen why...

Kerby

-- "van Oss" wrote:
I am doing a little work on the future SHOwagon to buy some time on its
current 3.8/AXOD drivetrain.

Somewhere in its past, 3 of the 4 freeze plugs were replaced with rubber
plugs. Now 2 are leaking. Does anyone have any experience with these
rubber plugs? Are they reliable? Do you have any tips for installing them?

The bad news is, to gain access to the rear plug, it appears I must drop the
oil pan. : (

VO