[Shotimes] Re: clockspring

MonsieurBoo@aol.com MonsieurBoo@aol.com
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:30:22 EST

"Pardon my ignorance, but what is the clock spring?"

That's a good question!!  I never heard of it either and had to google it,
and finally found a picture of it that made it clear.  In case you wondered how
all the stuff on your steering wheel is connected so it still works when you
turn the wheel lock-to-lock...!

Back when I was a "real" shade tree mechanic most cars had slip rings built
into the wheel and column to keep the juice flowing to the horn or whatever.
But now there's so much stuff on the wheel they had to put all the wiring into
a ribbon cable in the hub that's all wound up like the spring of an old
fashioned clock, hence, the name.  It looks like it's wound about 20 times which
SHOULD be plenty of slack, but perhaps not because there seems to be quite a few
complaints about them breaking.

You're certainly not alone, someone apparently thought it was the spring of
the actual clock and with this answer now they don't have to cop to asking
about the spring of a digital clock.

Cheers,
Mark LaBarre
94 ATX 125k