[Shotimes] Re: clockspring

Al Fitz Al Fitz" <alfitz@alfitz.com
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:26:15 -0800

What are you talking about????

The clock spring is enclosed in a plastic housing and inside of it there is
a flat ribbon cable 8' 9" long. All it does it completes the electrical
connection to the accessories on the steering wheel to the main wiring
harness when the steering wheel is turned. There is no sensor or any special
tools needed to replace it.

If you opened the plastic housing, all you would have to do is re-spool the
ribbon cable. No big deal.

Al Fitz
alfitz@alfitz.com
SHO Parts at
http://www.alfitz.com/sho
PLEASE INCLUDE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL IN YOUR REPLY

From: "louis grande" <luigigr8@yahoo.com>
To: <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 8:13 AM
Subject: [Shotimes] Re: clockspring

> The clockspring is a sensor used to deply the airbag. There is very little
wiggle room or slack. It is wound to a specific setting and that's it. A
tech may be able to rewind it but I believe not. Once it has unspooled it is
usually necessary to replace it. There's not a bunch of the wiring in there.
It is for air bag function only. If you are removing the steering wheel and
must remove the clockspring you must use an instrument to prevent it from
unspooling. The wiring is under tension.