[Shotimes] OT: '90 Prelude suspension/steering

Bill Murray fordsho@cloud9grafx.com
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:28:29 -0500

When I slid on some ice and hit a guardrail with my old 92, the strut
and the spindle both got bent, along with the wheel.  I couldn't tell
the spindle was bent by looking at it, but the strut had a small crease
in it on the outward facing part, it buckled inward.  The crease was
fairly small also, but everything was bent enough that the inside of the
tire was rubbing against the stud on the swaybar like that bolts up to
the strut, I had a nice groove in the sidewall of the tire by the time I
go to where I needed to go.

Bill Murray

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Tatro [mailto:stevetatro@netzero.com]
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 2:14 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] OT: '90 Prelude suspension/steering

I know, OT sucks.  But at least it's car related!?!

So, my buddy has a '90 Prelude.  Decided it would be fun to ignore some
snow on the road and slide into a 6" high curb.  Had the wheel turned at
the time as he was trying to make a right turn.  Hit pretty hard with
the left front wheel.

Rim is obviously bent.  Put the spare on and limped home.  Car felt
funny.  Put the spare on the back and a real wheel/tire on the front,
still feels funny.  It's obviously waaay out of alignment, but I don't
think that's all.

We took it apart Saturday, inspected the lower control arm, the strut
and strut fork, the strut rod (I think that's what it's called), the tie
rod, etc.  Can't find anything visibly bent and/or broken.

Also, there's some very distinct camber differences between the front
two wheels.  The left (side of impact) has some serious negative camber,
with the bottom of the wheel in.  The right wheel has some positive
camber, with the bottom of the wheel out.  I'm guessing that before any
of this both had some positive camber, although I don't know if it's
possible the right side (which wasn't directly hit) now has more
positive camber than before?  It almost looks like it.

Any suggestions?  Or is it time for him to bite the bullet and take it
to a "professional"?

Thanks, as always.

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 174k miles