[Shotimes] 3.2 OverBore Questions

Mark Nunnally Mark Nunnally" <marknunnally@JoiMail.com
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 00:05:36 -0400

> Is it possible to overbore to 3.3 and keep stock 3.2 pistons?
> Maybe oversized rings?

No.  A 3.3L would be a 93.5mm bore, or 1.5mm over 92.  Which is a good bit
to take off an 89 3.0L block...

> I was thinking of a budget job here....

there is no such thing :)

> >From what i understand i will keep only the essential block plus pistons
and
> crank and then replace the rest with my 3.0 parts.....is this true?

best to start with a 93-95 3.2L or 3.0L block, and not an early 89-92 block.
Also, those a lot smarter than me noted to me awhile back that most OEM's
with a 92mm slug use a 22mm pin (like the 3.2L's have) and not the 21mm pin
that's on the stock 89mm bore of your 3.0L.  Ie sticking a 21mm pin on a
92mm slug wouldn't be ideal.  Also note the 3.2L rods are a bit more beefier

> Should i keep anything outside of this?
> Bottom line question.....what parts do i keep from the 3.2 since it seems
> that this list would be smaller?

Best bet is to find a good OEM factory 3.2L shortblock core with a good
rotating assembly.  That's the budget route.

And if you want to "build" a 3.2L, still best (easiest) to start with a
3.2L.  Have the block cleaned, bored to whatever oversize piston you have,
use the new pins that come with the pistons, re-use the 3.2L rods, and have
the whole assembly rebalanced.  With that, figure $2k for the pistons,
gaskets, and machine work.

mark