[Shotimes] Warranty and racing

Mark Nunnally Mark Nunnally" <marknunnally@JoiMail.com
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 17:03:41 -0400

> I think Subaru is in for a rocky road if they try to enforce the no
warranty
> policy.  On the other hand, Autoweek seems to be more worried about how
> Mitsu found out about the event registration.  I have to fully agree with
> their position; blown turbos and rods on a 2-week old car is way beyond
> their responsibility.  Street cars are designed for a quick run-up through
> the gears, perhaps, but continued track use is for race-prepped cars, and
as
> far as I can see is the owner's problem.

Mike, I do agree with you.  That being said, most turbo motors are pretty
stout, able to take a lot of abuse (and extra boost) over a long haul.  I'd
be pretty dissapointed if one let go after just a few weeks.  Sounds like a
possible defect to me (may have shown up in 2 weeks beating it on the track,
but may have taken a year to show up if you drove it on the street not as
hard, but it probably still would have shown up)

A modern day OEM sub 300 hp motor should virtually last forever, regardless
of how hard it's run (within reason).

The 3.2L in my 89 has 150k on it, is within 10 hp of the EVO hp rating and
runs at 7500 rpm all day at the track.  It was designed in the mid/late
80's.  I'd be pretty soured if I bought a new car and ran it the same way at
the track and it had a castrophic failure.  That being said, I'd still
probably rebuild it myself <g>

mark