[Shotimes] MPH

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:55:36 -0700

On Wed,  7 Jul 2004 10:45:52 -0400 (EDT), Kenneth wrote:

>The reason for that is my speedo is 9 to 10 over.

If the cop said you were going 65 when your speedo said 65, it is obviously not off
by 10 mph.  In all the years I've been on this list, and in all the SHOs I've
had....9 that ran....the speedos have never been off more than one or two MPH, and
that was probably due to tire size changes or wear.  The '90 I got new (Lowrider)
was dead on until I went to 16 inch tires.  You should never make the assumption
your speedo is off, and drive by that assumption, without checking it against mile
markers.  It's YOUR responsibility to KNOW your speedo error.  I made a 2 MPH
assumption years ago...actually three of them several years apart, and got stopped
three times.  One was a ticket, with a Mustang, and one was a warning, with the
Lowrider....the third was a 90 dollar ticket for a friend who was in front of me in
Texas as we went home from the Atlanta convention ....I told him over the CB that he
could speed up our 2 car convoy.  (I paid him back.)

Mark M says the error with your tire change is about 2 mph.....that was the error I
had with the above mentioned new SHO with an identical tire change, and got the
warning.

Now.....one thing that DID happen with the new one, back when it was a few months
old, was that the speedo needle was binding, and would lag behind the actual
increase of speed as I accelerated.  At 70 it would say 60, but if I tapped the dash
with my hand, the needle would jump up to the proper speed.  I first noticed this
when a CHP waved to me that I was speeding when I passed him on a freeway.  He
pulled me over and said to have my speedo checked, because he figured I wasn't dumb
enough to pass him going over the limit.  Nice guy!!  The speedo was swapped under
warranty.

George