[Shotimes] OT thats a lot of lightning

Paul Nimz pnimz@v8sho.com
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 00:37:11 -0500

Ok, I worked for Gould, then GNB, the Exide Batteries (they suck) for almost
30 years.  We made industrial batteries (fork truck, mine cars, submarine,
railroad and stationary) exclusively.  While I was there they developed the
sealed Valve Regulated Battery (in the late '70s) which is what the Optima
type battery is based on.

During the last 10 years the plant made Submarine, sealed railroad and
telecom batteries almost exclusively.  Trident batteries took 4 semis to
ship and would take a 1500A discharge for 10 hours, total battery voltage
was ~250V.  The battery I have is the smallest cell they made.  2V nominal
(as they all are) and 12 cells.  2 positive plates per cell rated at 55AH
for each hour over an 8 hr period.  20 year guarantee when kept on a float
charge.

We used to make some batteries for the New York telecom (what ever they were
called) that they buried in the ground.  Covered the area of a football
field.  The newer sealed batteries were sometimes so big they filled huge
buildings when all linked together.

Where I work now (Kraft Foods) they throw away their large, single station
UPSs when the batteries fail.  These are a 24V DC to 120 AC true sine wave
UPSs rated at 1500w.  I use the 24V battery as the DC source.  The battery I
have weighs ~300 lbs.

Paul Nimz
'97 TR
'93 EG mtx