[Shotimes] Shaking at 70

David Rosicke d.rosicke@snet.net
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:00:13 -0700 (PDT)

Check your Strut-Rod bushings, especially if it shakes when braking at higher speeds.

Dave R.From: "George Fourchy"
To: "shotimes@autox.team.net"
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 09:57:11 -0700
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Shaking at 70

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 12:13:36 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time), Carl Prochilo wrote:

>Bought new wheel/tire package upgrade. This nailed it! It is a real
>pleasure to drive the car now, so I know what you are going through.

This is the alternative solution to centering your current wheels with sheetrock
screws. Costs a couple of bucks more, but you don't have to drive screws into your
wheels.

>Now, what this proved to me is one of two things happened on the original
>slicers. Either one or more wheels has a problem, or one or more tires
>has broken internal belt. This latter thing can happen with radials. I
>was able to quiet things down with the slicers by moving a suspect tire
>(that was virtually brand new mind you) to the rear of the car. So if you
>rotate your tires front to back and can feel a difference, that might be
>the area to investigate.

If a tire has separated a belt, the shaking from that will be noticeable from a
standstill. At the least, one tire will have a lump in it, like it had a mud clod
on one spot of the tread. When the separation gets worse, the belt will start to
twist, and the car will feel like it is doing the hula if the tire is in the back,
and the wheel will twist in your hands if it is in the front.

Not likely in this case, since things are smooth at slow speeds.

George

Message: 2