[Shotimes] Cryo Treating Rotors

Steve Tatro Steve Tatro <stevetatro_shotimes@earthlink.net>
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:08:18 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I've owned my '93 for almost 8 years, and for the first 6 had nothing but warped front brakes, just from normal (although often spirited) street use.

Last time I replaced the rotors (free replacement set from AutoZone) I decided to try the bedding procedure on Baer's website.

Boy I'm glad I did!  My current rotors have been on the car for two years and no signs of warpage.  I can get them nice and toasty with no indication of vibration when braking from any speed.

I've been telling myself for two years that this was it, as soon as these warp I'm getting the '96 brakes.  I kinda wish they would just get it over with so I could upgrade!  Although I'm not confident in my ability to properly swap the knuckles...may need a little help.

BTW, I've used nothing but PFCM pads the past 4 years or so.  Man, these things are dusty!

Now if I could just figure out why one of my calipers is dragging.

Later,

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 178k miles
Monroe, Ohio

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin & Cheryl Airth <clubairth@peoplepc.com>
Sent: Jul 8, 2004 1:47 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] Cryo Treating Rotors

I have run a front set of stock 93 rotors that were cryo treated. They did
not warp but I got a sticky caliper after a couple of years and it gouged
the rotor after the pad worn to the metal backing plate,so it had to be
replaced. For the cost I would NOT recommend it. Go with the 96 upgrade and
good pads. Be sure and bed the pads and rotors properly. I have found this
to be the biggest factor in avoiding warping. Although I have warped the 96
upgrade once, I still have not worn out the Carbotech type F pads. Man I
wish they still made these!! I paid additional $50 plus shipping to get the
2 front rotors treated. Add stainless steel lines and rear brake plugs and
the SHO will flat STOP!!

 Someone posted a link that said the rotor warping was actually brake pad
material unevenly deposited in the rotor and this is why bedding the new
stuff is so important. With a lot of high performance pads you are placing a
layer of brake pad material on the rotor during the bedding process. If this
layer is deposited uneven or wears uneven then the pulsing brake pedal is
the result. So turn your rotors and again bed the brakes. I don't know that
I believe this entirely from my long personal experience but after using a
bedding procedure even stock SHO's seem much more resistant to warping.