[Shotimes] rattling cat

Jon Heese heese@digi-net.com
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:51:40 -0400

My '95 SLO was running rich due to some changes I made to the throttle
body (since fixed), but I fear it already killed my passenger bank cat.
I don't much care about its functionality (FL has no emissions testing),
but now i've got a bunch of rocks rattling around inside the thing.  I'd
take it to a muffler shop, but I presume that they won't just gut it for
me (still illegal, right?), and I don't want to pay money I don't have
for new cats I don't want, just to get rid of the rattling.

I looked at the possibility of removing the downpipe assembly (FL car
has seen no salt), but I'm not sure exactly how I'd go about gutting the
thing afterwards...

I know the ATX SHO cats are different, but if anyone has any experience
in general, I'd appreciate any tips or advice on the matter.

 - Jon Heese