[Shotimes] Spring insulators

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:51:19 -0400

When I did the new KYB struts the week before the Convention, I also did new
Police mounts and bearings. On a visual inspection of the spring insulators
(between the Eibach & strut on the bottom), they looked crappy, so I ordered
new ones from the Ford dealer (it's the only source!!) for about $10 each.
The originals were probably reused when the Eibachs were put in 100K ago
(181K at the time of the swap), and were most likely the originals.

Well once I pulled them out and cleaned them with WD40, they looked & felt
as good as the new ones! I put the new ones in anyway, but frankly there
wasn't a need to replace them.

FWIW, I wouldn't worry about them when installing struts. But new
mounts/bearings/boots are a good idea, IMHO. One of the old strut bearings
was "crunchy" when I removed it.

Ron