[Shotimes] 95 ATX Problems

Jim and Debbie Leyden jndleyden@comcast.net
Sat, 24 Jul 2004 15:20:53 -0400

While I cannot speak for sure about the Tweecer that Josh sells, I have been
talking to Doug Lewis about the Superchips SCT Tuner that he has and the
other programming tools that her knows about.  From what I can gather there
is no programming tool out there that will allow you to access the ladder
logic and modify it or even view it.  I have been trying to find SOMETHING
that will allow me to map the outputs on the ATX PCM so I can find out of
the DOL output is present but undocumented in the ATX the same way it is in
the MTX PCM.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Kevin & Cheryl Airth
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2004 1:26 PM
To: Jon Heese; SHO
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] 95 ATX Problems

Jon:
 You would think so but I have tried 3 different Ted B. versions of my LPM
and it did get worse and then he set it back to stock. I still can't get it
fixed so I understand the problem I think but lack enough knowledge on the
internal PCM programming. There is also an externally adjustable line
pressure mod that I have instructions for but it seems to only increase the
pressure. Which is NOT the direction I wanted to go for the street! I am not
sure that the chip can change what's needed. You can change parameters in
the look up table but not the relationships between those parameters. Maybe
the Tweecer could do this? The inputs for line pressure are throttle
position mainly (More throttle= higher line pressure) but how often is the
line pressure adjusted? Not often enough it seems. The regular SLO also has
this same identical behavior. Ford really should have figured this out by
now! Doug L. at FPS has stated that for less than $100 in parts Ford could
have fixed ALL the problems in the ATX. After having a FPS built ATX for
over 60K miles I believe him. The difference was and is huge!

Has anybody worn out a FPS tranny yet? Broke one? I did break mine but Doug
and everybody else I talked to had never seen this failure so I think that I
drive it pretty hard or it was just one of those rare things?  I sheared the
main input shaft that runs the oil pump. Car just coasted to a stop and
after Doug helped me with the troubleshooting, it turned out that the shaft
could be replaced WITHOUT removing the tranny! Plus it's the same part for
the SHO or SLO! . . .

> So if the problem is rooted in a programming error, shouldn't a chip
> be
able
> to fix this (better than just lessening it with the TransGo)?  I have
> both of the symptoms you describe in my 95 ATX.
>
>  - Jon Heese
>

> > Dave:
> >  The harsh 1-2 shift is very common. What happens is the line
> > pressure
is
> > controlled by the PCM. Higher line pressure = firmer, quicker
> > shifts.
Ford
> > has a logic error in the transmission programming. So long story but
short
> > answer. It's entirely normal and your wife also found out how to
> > manage
it
> > with the throttle opening. The worse condition is a quick jab of the
> > throttle off the line and then let off completely. This will make it
bang
> > the worse. I have found the TransGo shift kit, at least on my FPS
> > tranny tames this quite a bit. .
> > .
> >

> > > I bought my wife a 95 ATX white/gray. Glass would not sell his SHO
> her.
> > So she took the advice of someone we had dinner and a few beers
> > with.
and
> > bought a "real SHO"  Thanks Ron. Anyway it's in decent shape, Priced
right
> > but It has one small problem. The 1-2 upshift is pretty harsh. other
then
> > that the trans seems to be great. No slippage or other problems.
> > Anyone
> ever
> > dealt with this before? The stack of receipts in the car say the
> > trans
was
> > just checked out new filter gasket and fluid. It's full of fluid.
> > Just a strange 1-2 upshift. She has been letting off when the tach
> > hit the
magic
> > shift number and it shifts fine that way. But full out it bangs them
hard.
> > I've not had anytime to really get into it so looking for some
> > direction before I tear into it this weekend.
> > > Dave

---