[Shotimes] Dyno Don back from CA finally!

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 10:00:28 -0500

Jan and I pulled into unusually cool Washington, IL on
Friday evening about 9pm.

For those counting days that makes it a full 8 days after
the end of Convention #12 in San Francisco.

We decided to take a couple days to visit friends in the
Carson Valley south of Reno.  We had to skirt the fires in
the mountains near Carson City and Tahoe.  Luckily those
were brought under control soon after we arrived in the
area, but smoke could be smelled most of each day.

Got to meet some of the pilots and brave firefighters that
were staying at the same motel we were at in Minden, NV.

Then Starting Monday morning we took the scenic route to Las
Vegas through the mountains of central and Southern CA.
finally hooking up with Route 66 (via I-40) for the drive home.

We followed much of the "mother road" and you can expect a
story on our trip in an upcoming issue of the SHO Club
magazine (now that the convention is out of the way, I
expect to get caught up with magazines due our long
suffering members, by the end of this year).

Total trip for us from Illinois amounted to just under 5000
miles, I know others had longer trips, and some suffered
failures both minor and major on the wat too and from the
convention.  I am not aware, though, of any injuries, and I
am glad of that, and I think all the cars will be have been
recovered and are in the repair stage at this point in time.

My 96 V8 SHO got new Yokohama AVS ES-100 shoes before taking
off, and now 5000 miles later, they are silent and handled
Thunderhill and heavy rain, heat etc as well as I could ever
hope.  Stories of these tires turning into noise monsters at
3000 miles are not true for at least my application.  Wear
was minimal and behavior at Thunderhill was great.

Burned 1.5 quarts of synthetic on the trip, and only had to
add about a pint of water to the cooling system on the way
out.  Tranny fluid is perfect at start and end.  Tranny
cooler did the job as our car stayed leak/overflow free at
Thunderhill when some were leaving bright red trails.  Some
of that could be our slightly slower pace, but we did do
back to back sessions as Jan and I both drove in classes
following each other and I even threw in an extra session
with another driver.

Upon arriving at home the ES '96 was quiet and idled
perfect, Seeming to say "thank you very much, I'll have one
more trip just like that right now if you please!"

I have to say, I could not imagine a better pair of
companions for a trip like this than my wife and our trusty SHO.

The radio and/or CB was turned on a total of about 30
minutes during the two weeks, Jan and I both preferrring the
company of the SHO sounds and the quiet sleep we allowed
each other as we changed drivers every two hours or so.

Thanks to Peter and Jeff Mitchell from Moline IL for their
copanionship on the way out.  But we did enjoy the freedom
of travelling alone on the way back, when the sudden stops
for things like the Cadillac Ranch would have irritated
people following us on Route 66.

Expect a full write up on the convention and our trip in
future SHO Club magazines and on the web site.

We are still unpacking but feel rested and ready to get
going on Convention #14.

Yes, for those not at the convention/banquet, we did not
skip convention #13, but instead, I declared the "lost
convention" of Las Vegas an official convention, with no
official number so that we can have the 2005 convention in
Indianapolis without the burden of it having the number 13.

Not that I am superstitious, but it never hurts to avoid
trouble if there is a neat (and sneaky) way to do it!

Convention #14 will be July 18-21, 2005 in Indianapolis, IN.

Host hotel to be announced later.  Events set for now:

Car SHOw on Tuesday
Putnam Park Road course on Wednesday
Drag Racing at Indianapolis Raceway Park on Thursday
Banquet Thursday night.

We will have other things to announce, we hope to set up a
day of go karting and crown a SHO Kart Champion!

Location was chosen mainly on the basis of it being close to
  my home so I can put it on with minimal stress, plus Indy
is a great town, and the racing will be affordable and fun.
  Putnam is a great track that is a favorite test track of
Indy and CART drivers along with Trans-Am etc.  Safe, fun
and scenic.  IRP is THE US Nationals track for the NHRA.
There are shinier tracks, and newer ones, but none in the
country with a better history.

Indianapolis itself is filled with race and automotive
history and things to do.  Plus we will have available the
super fun rally course that was part of the 2000 convention
that we will give out to all attendees so you can experience
that on your own.  There is great food, great wine and great
roads you can enjoy all at low midwestern prices.

I hope many of the new friends we made out West will join us
in Indy in 2005.

Thanks to everyone with BAYSHO and the other great people
from the West and N.West for making this convention a fun
and safe event, that was minimal wear and tear on me and Jan.

Some quick numbers:  Total cars registered 102, money raised
for the Red Cross: $3500 approx, we have a final accounting
to do yet.  People at the Banquet: 139.  SHO's (and other
cars) on Thunderhill: 70+ approx.

Amount of salt on Don Mallinson's '96 after driving on the
Bonneville Salt Flats (at something under the land speed
record for piston powered cars of 400+ mph) about six pounds!

Thanks again to everyone that helped put on the event and
that attended.  We made many new friends, and I hope to see
all of you plus more first timers at Indy in 2005.

Don and Jan Mallinson
SHO Club
http://www.shoclub.com