[Shotimes] Hold it a minute.....was: Re: SHO replacement

Neno neno@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 00:19:35 -0500

>Ford had the Escort and LTD - marginally aero.  The Crown Vic - a big box.
>The Taurus and T-bird were pure aero, like nothing we had seen before.
>It's alot more than the headlights and mirrors.  How about the grille (or
>lack there of in the Taurus), the fully integrated bumper covers, the flush
>aircraft-style doors, the flush mounted glass - windshield, side windows,
>and rear window, the flush mounted door handles, the shallow cowl area, and
>the sharply raked windshield and rear window, etc.

This was indeed something new, but nonetheless was new to the ford lineup.
After the Taurus' release, the entire Ford lineup turned into that very same
Taurus. Minus the headlights, however, I still feel the SHO didn't push the
aero styling to extremely. Mustangs, thunderbirds, and Cougars all shared
that very same styling, although it was finesed to even out the differences
between the lineup. I see what you're saying, entirely, however I still feel
that the Taurus wasn't a "hey, look at me!" kinda car. I mean, that new oval
Taurus was something in a league of it's own, it just so happened to be a
not-so-great league, but was the very same breakthrough ford had in mind
back in '86. Different yet... Simple. Just because a new concept of
designing is created doesn't make it a eye popping phenomenon. Perhaps it's
due to my ages' quickly growing technological sludge fest of the computers
that make a lazy persons life.. worse for their health than 2 packs of
cigerattes a day. Being conservative can still be a very nice thing, however
it doesn't attract attention. Regardless to how aero a taurus was back in
'86, people didn't look twice at it and let their eyes off that camaro or
mustang.. OR maybe they did, but that's because early/mid 80s cars SUCKED!
Minus the beast, Grand Nationals. Which were also a pretty sleek design.
Lets not forget the later smoothened '87/88 Monte Carlos, too. Ford raced to
set the pace, but their product was a simple, yet different, taurus.