[Shotimes] Hold it a minute.....was: Re: SHO replacement

DAVE cobraii976@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:00:54 -0700 (PDT)

"James F. Ryan III" <av8r567@optonline.net> wrote:

> While the Taurus or SHO isn't the beacon of all that is built to
perfection,
> it's a decently well screwed together car.

Nicely put, but consider the following:

I've never owned a car before where,
the brake rotors warp from normal driving and braking (no racing).

Chrysler Lebaron fronts only

I've never owned a car before where,
the rear brake lines rusted SHUT and pretty much incapacitated the rear
brakes.

Chrysler Lebaron and the worse part is it's drum brakes

I've never owned a car before where,
the rear springs sagged so badly after so few miles of normal driving (no
towing or unecessary heavy loads in the trunk).

Same Lebaron Convert

I've never owned a car before where,
the alignment is so difficult to have performed properly.

Same car it's my wifes Lebaron

I've never owned a car before where,
in order to achieve proper front alignment the FACTORY recommneded fix is to
drill out spot welds in the body.

Got me on that one but I'm selling it cheap

I've never owned a car before where,
in order to acheive proper rear alignment you swap in superior parts from
another major auto manufacturer.

I wish I could do that to the Lebaron

I've never owned a car before where,
the entire HVAC system was so problematic.

Her car again

I've never owned a car before where,
the A/C lines were destroyed by battery acid because they were routed
underneath the battery tray.

Same old 93 Lebaron again

I've never owned a car before where,
the A/C compressor clutch gap went out of a adjustment.

Lebaron

I've never owned a car before where,
the HVAC blend door motor........need I say more.

The Lebaron just goes full defrost and sticks there all summer and winter it hits the floor.......... still for sale

I've never owned a car before where,
the HVAC blower control relay........need I say more.

I'll sell it to ya

I've never owned a car before where,
the HVAC control unit buttons crack from normal use (gee, that's on par with
the brakes).

Almost got me there the Lebaron's just fall off.......you know you have to have this car

I've never owned a car before where,
the headlight circuit is so poorly designed and one wire (the brown wire)
overheats, melts, and almost causes a fire.

Not had that problem yet can't keep it running long enough

I've never owned a car before where,
the factory stereo head unit is so poorly designed that its capacitors leak
and render the unit inoperable after a few years of service.

Try the chrysler factory unit. after the face and buttons fall of it's pretty useless the other cool thing is you have to turn it on the off then on real quick to even get power. Come on buy it this car is fun.

I've never owned a car before where,
the antenna breaks so frequently from normal up/down operation.

wanna buy it? has no power antenna

I've never owned a car before where,
the sunshade of the moonroof uses a water soluble adhesive that loses its
ability to hold the material if it gets wet, ONCE.

No sunroof it's a convert. but the headliner is factory installed with near velcro. not really velcro but something that looks similar with the holding power of spit

I've never owned a car before where,
the front subframe can disconnect from the unibody because of a poorly
designed mounting system/bolts.

Not a problem with the lebaron it has NO subframe. just a small K frame with 4 bolts that hold all the steering and suspension on but do nothing for the body. But the car she had before that was a Buick Regal that the subframe fell out of.

I've never owned a car before where,
the ATX is SO poorly designed and SO problematic.

The Ford ATX is built like a tank compared to the A-604/41TE. The only trans I know in the world I know of that breaks by looking at it the wrong way. uses a 150 dollar solinoid pack to control it. the torque convertor splines shear off. and if you don't use ATF+3 it will not shift. And it will only shift the Filter from the dealer. and the really cool thing. It clicks when you take off and it clicks when you stop. click click click click in stop and go it's like your on Wheel of Fortune. I just want to buy a vowel Pat. It's so bad the fix it to swap in the A-413 3 speed and forget the overdrive

I've never owned a car before where,
the thermostat is problematic and gets stuck in a full open position, which
causes the motor to run cool, which causes the computer to run a rich
mixture to 'help' the engine warm up quicker, which in turn causes a host of
other problems

Same thing happens on the Mitsubitchy 3.0 DOCH in the Lebaron must be a jap thing?

I've never owned a car before where,
the failure of the head gasket (3.8L) is a known problem.

Most chryslers have that problem from the 80's 2.2 liters to the PT cruiser that comes with a spare in the glove box when you buy it.

I've never owned a car before where,
the speedometer cable becomes very noisy and needs to be replaced.

Wish the Lebaron had a speedo cable. it's a sensor and when the sensor stops working the trans goes into limp and stays in second. which in turn destroys the control pack which in turns wipes out the Torque convertor splines.Big fun

I've never owned a car before where,
the "power steering" provides steering but NO power (Gen1 only).

Damn buy my Lebaron already

I've never owned a car before where,
the accuracy of various gauges and indicating/warning lights is questionable
due to poorly designed and very problematic sensors.

You know you want the Lebaron

I'm sure there's a few more that we could add to this 'impressive list'.
The point is, these are not exceptions to the rule, they are an epidemic of
the Taurus. Add all of these togehter, then compare to the Honda Accord and
Toyota Camry, and POS is really only a stone's throw away.

What makes the car great?

-The SHO engine is great. (The MTX and shifter are fun, but they are far
from great).

-The Gen1 factory ground effects are great (I'm very biased. I guess you
guys don't see many WHITE Gen1s because on a bright white Gen1 the ground
effects stick out like a sore thumb).

-Yes George, the doors still sound brand new when they're slammed shut (BUT,
it only took them 50 years to get that right).

-Lastly, the factory exhaust systems, both SHO and SLO, are great. I've
never heard or seen a Taurus that had a loud rotted away exhaust - even here
in the northeast.