[Shotimes] Overheat/Gunk in coolant

Paul L Fisher sho@paul-fisher.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:28:30 -0500

I hear that Grant Butler will let his SHO go cheap!!!!

Anyhow, when you flushed the coolant and all that, did you also clean out
the overflow tank? Is it possible that it is leftovers from before?

Paul L Fisher

1999 Ford Taurus SHO TR 66K - Kirk'ed 2/29/04.

 - Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30
 - Amsoil TS-124 Oiled Foam air filter

Visit my website: http://www.paul-fisher.com
SHOClub Member: http://www.shoclub.com
Amsoil dealer: http://www.paul-fisher.com/oil

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Steve Tatro
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 1:26 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team; shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] Overheat/Gunk in coolant

I may have a serious problem.

My SHO's been running a bit hot lately, although I've never let it overheat.

I finally looked into it last night, and replaced the ECT, the t-stat, the
temperature gauge sender and the radiator cap.  I've been really good the
whole life of the car to keep fresh coolant in the system...never let it get
too old.

The water pump is about 2 years old.  The radiator was replaced about 5
years ago, as the original had corroded from the inside (I'm blaming the
original owner).

This morning my low coolant light came on, and I had some 50/50 in my trunk
(since I had just worked on the cooling and lost some fluid).  I opened the
reservoir and at the bottom was some greenish-brown gunk...actually looked a
bit gritty/grainy...kinda hard to describe.

Thoughts?  I guess my worst fear is a blown head gasket.  I figured if this
was the case all the coolant would be brown.  When doing the work last night
all the coolant that leaked out was still nice and green.  Also, even with
this "gunk" in the reservoir, the coolant that's in the radiator itself
(judged by removing the cap and also by letting some drain out the drain
plug) is nice and green.

HELP!

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 178k miles
Monroe, Ohio

P.S.  Anyone know of a good old SHO for sale?!?