[Shotimes] Overheat - Part II

Leigh Smith leighsm@comcast.net
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:05:42 -0400

Steve
I agree there must be cooling blockage in the rad. How old is it?
Mine will keep the car cool idling for 30 minutes with the AC on, even when
it's hot out!
The other issue seems to be ICRM related, unless the temp sensor is way out.
That part you can test for varying resistance with an ohmeter. There are
specs in Pobst.
Lee

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Tatro" <stevetatro_shotimes@earthlink.net>
To: <rob.pittman@verizon.net>; <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: RE: [Shotimes] Overheat - Part II

> Thanks Rob.  Hope you don't mind me replying to this to the list, just so
I can get maximum input!

> I just did a bit more troubleshooting (at least as much as my peabrain
will allow).  Engine cold, started it up, EATC "OFF".  Let it get warm,
thermostat opened, allowing upper radiator hose to get hot.  EATC still
"OFF".  The fans never kicked on.  Temp gauge needle up past "N" in NORMAL,
still nothing.  Turned the EATC to "MAX A/C" and the fans (both of them)
kicked on immediately.  Temp gauge needle continued to rise!  After a few
minutes I turned the EATC "OFF" again, and the fans remained running for a
few minutes, and the engine cooled down.  Once the needle got down to the
"R" in NORMAL, the fans shut off.  EATC still off, the engine started to
warm up again.  Got past the "N" again, and the fans never kicked on
automatically.  Shut the car down.

> So, here's what I *assume*.  The fans work properly, seem to be spinning
freely (I was able to turn them both by hand), but something's not telling
them to turn on when they need to.  Is this yet another bad ECT sensor
(two-wire)?  Mine's only a few months old, although just a cheap plastic
NAPA part.  Or is this a faulty IRCM?

> Also, another question.  Even without the fans working, shouldn't the flow
of air at highway speeds be enough to keep the car cool?  It's *better* on
the highway and gets much worse as I cruise around town, but it just doesn't
seem right.  Do the fans even run at highway speed?

> It seems like something's still wrong with the radiator, since even with
the a/c on and the fans running the car won't stay cool.

> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks to everyone for all the help.
>
> If anyone has any more specific diagnostic tools for me to try I'd
appreciate it.  I'm sorta guessing at this point!

> Steve Tatro
> Red/Black '93 with 178k miles
> Monroe, Ohio
>
> P.S.  List of recently replaced parts: ECT, gauge temp sender, thermostat,
radiator cap, chemical coolant flush, door striker bolt bushing ;^)

them both, you should be in good shape.  The IRCM (Integrated Relay Control
Module) is the "black box" on the driver's side up next to the radiator.
It's under the plastic panel that covers the top of the radiator.  If you
trace the wires from the fan, you'll run right into it.  It should be
putting out something like 12 volts.  I'm on my third or fourth one now.  My
alternator was overcharging, and it was a while before I figured it out.  In
the interim, I think I must've fried a couple of the things.  The two-wire
sensor goes to the IRCM, and the one-wire to the temp gauge (or vice versa,
hell, now I'm confused...)  You've replaced them both, and I've never heard
of one going bad anyway.

> Turn on the A/C while the car is cool.  Does the fan come on?  If not,
then unplug the fan (the wiring harness leads right to the IRCM), and check
the voltage at the IRCM end of the fan plug.  You should get a reading.  If
not, then I'd suspect the IRCM has gone bad.  If you get a voltage reading,
then suspect the fan motor is out.  Apply 12V to it and see if it runs.

> The only other thing I can think of is the thermostat.  But I recall you
saying you changed it.  When it opens, you should be able to feel coolant
flowing through the hoses.

> All this is gen 1 stuff, with a single speed fan, but the two speed fans
should operate in a similar fashion.