[Shotimes] Help! Battery hitting idler pulley - WTB alt. idler pulley

Jonas Diener jdiener@rosettastone.com
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 16:37:35 -0400

>Hi...
>
>95 mtx...
>
>I did a whole bunch of maintenance last year (sensors, water pump,
>timing belt, belts, plugs, all hoses, etc.) and when I went to
>put the battery it is hit the idler pulley and cut through the
>bottom of it.
>
>I couldn't figure out why, all of the sudden, this was occuring.
>When I reinstalled the battery tray it went in the same place
>I think. It can only be installed one way so I don't think I
>screwed it up. So, I put a 3/8" piece of plywood under the
>battery to move it up a bit. Well, that "fix" worked until
>last week when I suspect my son who is a little "heavy in the
>foot" drove it. The bottom of the battery got cut again (even
>with the piece of plywood installed) and dumped one cell's
>worth of acid on the belts and pulleys. The alt. belt then broke.
>
>It turns out that my alternator idler pulley bearing
>is all corroded from the battery acid. I need the whole
>thing and I'm not sure what the dealer charges. Anyone
>have one for a good deal? It's for a 95 mtx.
>
>Any ideas as to why the bottom of the battery is now hitting the
>idler pulley? One, thing, I did change the battery at the time
>to a new one. It fits in the try just fine so I don't think that's
>it.

I had that same thing happen to me.  Man, what a mess.  Everything
started rusting.  The heat shields on the cats fell off pretty
quickly, and I suspect that's what destroyed my inner CV boot.

Anyway, the root cause of the problem was a bad front motor mount.
Since it was broken, it allowed the engine to travel enough that the
idler pulley came into contact with the battery.

See here for how to diagnose your mounts:
http://www.shotimes.com/php-bin/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0&sid=68

Don't do what I did and try to patch the battery with JB-Weld and
refill it.  The acid will eat right through it and you'll have more
mess on your hands (and pulleys and accessories)...

In the meantime, space it out (I used 3 quarters wrapped in duct
tape).  It also helps to loosen the battery tray bolts and tighten
them again while pulling the tray towards the fender.