[Shotimes] (OT) curb-impact damage to RWD

van Oss van Oss" <vanOss@centurytel.net
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:36:26 -0500

We are now thinking that the hub/axle (they're a single piece, it seems) is
bent.  We put the rear up, pulled both rear wheels, calipers, and rotors,
and it's obvious the right rear hub is askew.  I guess we're looking at an
axle and maybe a seal or two.

He was on a left curve where the road slopes down to the right more than
usual (negative banking?).  From what he's telling me the car plowed, he
overcorrected the wheel to the left, it spun 180 while still moving foward,
so the left rear wheel hit the curb going backward.

A year ago I took this kid to a driving school where he got to put a Camaro
through a wet skidpad and experience a spin.  That was in a parking lot with
lots of room for error.  Now he understands what curbs mean, how near they
are, and why racetracks don't have them.   : )

VO