[Shotimes] Inner Tie Rod Ends?

Kevin & Cheryl Airth clubairth@peoplepc.com
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 16:03:16 -0500

Kris:
Have not heard of them clunking? But they are easy to check. I can guarantee
they are worn if not badly worn. Remove the tie rod from the spindle. The
inner tie rod is a ball and socket construction. It should be tight enough
so that the tie rod stays where you put it. It does not just flop down to
the lowest point and rest on something else. Should hang in mid air when
it's loose. Push in and out to check for play. When you get the new inner
one you will have a tough time moving the joint by hand before you get it on
the car. On the car the tie rod should be sticky when you move it and stay
put. I think AutoZone loans the special tool for this. Have him check
locally.
 I have changed some really bad ones and did not notice a whole lot of
difference when driving? Did feel tighter and maybe less tendency to wander.
I had expected more improvement!
.
.
Has he checked the sway bar end links?