[Shotimes] Re: Redundant radio control (RRC) - Includes bulb p/n

Carl Prochilo gr8sho@prochilo.myserver.org
Sun, 6 Jun 2004 11:57:42 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

I just finished this project myself.  Frank's solution works and it looks
like the only reasonable path I could see.  The problem with the rubber
plunger mat is that it has a tendency to want to stretch out of shape
enough that the plunger doesn't make good contact with the PC board.
Putting the plastic interface piece between the rubber and the plunger is
all that it takes to make it work properly.  It might be possible over
time for that plastic piece to work itself free since it wasn't glued in.
If it lasts a year, then that's good enough and I can then just repeat the
process.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:  The only problem with the instructions is that
I suggest removing the front dash bezel rather than attempting to extract
it from the front.  You can pull the bezel off by removing the 4 bolts
that holt the lower metal cover by the knees, and then removing the 4
screws that hold the bezel in place (2 above and 2 below), and then gently
backing it away from the dash.  Once you've done this, you can locate the
upper and lower metal pinch tabs that hold the RRC in place.  It's less
likely you'll break any plastic tabs (don't ask me how I know).

As for the bulbs, my attempt at locating these locally at parts store was
a waste of time as these radio bulbs appear to be dealer only items.  I
don't like the idea of putting in used bulbs so I bit the bullet and spent
a whopping $3.68 for one of these bulbs.

The part number is: E6DZ-13B765-E

IMPORTANT NOTE:  When you remove the bulb from the unit, you'll notice a
blue rubber boot that goes over the bulb.  Carefully remove that boot and
save it because the new bulb you buy won't have the boot.

Finally, if you've gone to all this trouble to open up the dash, consider
replacing the bulb for the headlamp switch.  This uses a smaller version
of the lighbulb that goes in the hood overhead light and can be found a
normal autoparts stores.  Chances are this bulb is burned out and you
don't even realize it.

It's a good feeling to be able to look at the interior at night and see
all the lights working as they're supposed to. --
Cheers,
Carl Prochilo
92 Ultra Red Crimson

On Thu, June 3, 2004 2:27 am, fwhittle@mindspring.com said:
> The article is ready, I just have to get it to Evan. Regarding the bulb,
 I just got a few from the PnP, since the switch is a snap to remove. I
noticed that the bulb for the rear defroster button is different
(slightly  smaller).

> Frank Whittle
> '95 ATX

remote buttons to work my Sony ES head unit. But the logic seems to get
lost
> or screwed up at different times. I thought it was the remote buttons
fault
> but after buying a new one ($65!) with no change. Even had the adapter
changed out under warrantee with no change. After my fixes they usually
work
> fine for a short while. The volume control seems to stay working no
matter  what? But the seek is the worst and then sometimes the memory
button does  not work also. For awhile I was pretty sure the problems
were heat related  but don't know? I am STILL looking for the correct
bulb for this. Please  post to the list if you find it or a substitute.
> .
>

>> Quick question for everyone--when your redundant radio control fails,
> which button is it that fails? I finally figured out what was wrong with
 mine (and the junkyard replacement) and was able to figure out how to
fix  it. It seems to be an inherent flaw in the design, which is why I
think  that everyone is having a problem with the "seek"
button only. Am I  right?
> I'll try to put together a repair write-up for the Shotimes FAQ. I just
love solving problems like this!

>> On a related note, does anyone happen to know the voltage and wattage of
> the lamp in this switch? I think it's 12V, but don't know the wattage. I
 suppose it's easy enough to get a couple from the