[Shotimes] leather reconditioning

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Mon, 07 Jun 2004 08:03:03 -0500

Frank,

The leather in the SHO isn't that soft (at least the Gen II
leather) to begin with.

American leather is of the type where the dye closes the
pores of the leather.  This makes the leather resistant to
stains, but makes it crack easier and it is harder to the touch.

Keep using the Lexol (I sell this product and it is at the
top of the heap for leather care) and be sure to use BOTH
the cleaner and conditioner in that order every time.
Keeping the dirt off the leather is key to reducing the
cracking that can occur.

Let the conditioner sit on the leather for several minutes
every time, it won't soak in much, but it helps.

Also, leather by it's nature (at least mass production car
leather as opposed to $100,000 priced car leather!) comes in
all sorts of quality.  Older hides, can be thicker and some
are just not very soft, but get used.  It isn't unusual to
have what feels like a lot of different quality leather in
an interior or even on one bucket seat!

Don't get too concerned with making the leather soft, it
probably never was that soft to begin with, and there isn't
much that can be done short of replacing it.

Don Mallinson
SHO Club
also:  DC CarCare
http://www.dccarcare.com