[Shotimes] cornering lamps

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:23:26 -0700

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:52:20 -0500, van Oss wrote:

>Driving in bad weather, it occurred to me that having the cornering lamp on
>might help me be just a bit more sure of my lane position.

I don't think that is a good idea.  I'm used to seeing cornering lamps coming on in
conjunction WITH turn signals.....if it looks like there might be some competition
for a particular spot in traffic I am headed for, which requires a lane change, I
signal WAY in advance, so that the potential conflictor has more chance of seeing
that I am signalling for it.  This is especially effective at night, when I cannot
see the driver's face, and he cannot see mine.

If they were on all the time, their effectiveness would be diminished, just like
leaving turn signals on all the time.....worthless.

Besides, it is very difficult to see the pavement by the tire lit from your own
cornering light.....and you SURE can't see the right side one OR the pavement it is
lighting.  I can tell mine is working by seeing it reflect off the car I'm trying to
chase off.

George