[Shotimes] Engine Oil Treatments...

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:09:20 -0700

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:42:25 -0700 (PDT), Shylo McKinsey wrote:

>Anyone ever tried these? "Pour this in your oil and
>you see results overnight". Thats what they all claim.
>Just curious if anyone have ever tried these products
>and what the results were...

Hey Bud!!

We talk about these every once in a while.  Some folks have had them work, sorta,
and some folks have said "Not ME!!"

We all agree that the stuff you saw on TV with the engine running without an oil pan
is junk....it's all fake.  Others work, up to a point, but they cost so mch that the
economics don't justify the expense.  For example, I used Slick 50 in my Thunderbird
Turbo one time, after the warranty ran out.  Oil consumption had always been about a
quart in 3000 miles.  Slick 50 said that it couold reduce oil consumbtion a lot.  I
used one quart of it, along with 4 quarts of standard oil, and that panfull would
have gone 6k miles before it would have used a quart....I changed it after 3k
anyway, and it was down half a quart.  You were supposed to use it every 5 changes
or so...it costs about 30 bucks per quart.  The next change, the rate went up to a
quart in 4500 miles, and the next changd, it was back to a quart in 3k miles.  So,
if you like low consumption, you can use it every change, for 30 bucks a pop.  I
said, "thanks, but no thanks".

That's pretty much how they all work...either not at all, or costing too much.  Now
these new old-engine oils...they are different.  Everyone seems to like them.

I don't have any "old" cars, yet...Lowrider hasn't gotten to 300,000 miles, yet, so
I don't use them...just regular Castrol dyno juice.  ;-)

See ya!!

George