[Shotimes] What can destroy a cat?

cmichaelo@optonline.net cmichaelo@optonline.net
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:19:30 -0400

I have now destroyed my second catalytic converter. I'm trying to find out if something is wrong my engine, or if the cats were just of poor quality to begin with.

Both cats were bought from Sho Shop in 1997.

The first cat lasted about 40k, and the second about 30k.

I strongly suspect that the first cat died to some prolonged trouble with the MAF which produced rich fuel mixture. During the life of the first cat I only averaged 17-18 mpg.

But with the second cat I had no such problem with the MAF.  I'm now averaging 20-21 mpg. However, I do have an excessive oil consumption, and I'm wondering if oil is leaking into the cylinders and is burning up, if that can destroy a cat?

What else could destroy a cat?  I have 130k on the car. New oxygen sensors. New 77mm ProFlow MAF. No chip.  Good acceleration.  Good idle.  Car is due for 60k though.

Michael Olsen
94MTX,green,BOX+

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of cmichaelo.vcf; charset=windows-1252]