[Shotimes] RE: Well, I did it (bye bye SHO, hello STi)

Steve Tatro Steve Tatro <stevetatro_shotimes@earthlink.net>
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:53:21 -0700 (PDT)

James,

Do you own a SHO?  Have you seen the prices for replacement parts?

For grins I just looked up old M3 parts versus parts for my SHO.  M3 starter is $216 (I just paid $180 for mine).  M3 alternator is $180 (SHO goes for $180 also).  Each ignition coil for the M3 is $80 (each for the V8 SHO is $72).

Every car needs fluids and maintenance, and this won't vary much from car to car.  The 8 years I've owned my SHO I've spent about $2400 in parts (including ignition stuff, brakes, radiator, alternator, starter, a/c compressor, belts, sensors, filters, etc.).  Say on average things cost 30% more for the BMW, that means I would've spent $3100 on the same parts, assuming the BMW parts break as often as the FoMoCo pieces do.  So $700 spent over 8 years, or $87 per year.  This is a measly $7 per month man!  You're telling me this is a viable reason to pick one car over another?  Remember, this is assuming things cost 30% more on the Beemer, which I've shown is not always the case.

Oh, and to compare the prices for M3 parts to a JGC is crazy...just crazy!

Later,

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 178k miles
Monroe, Ohio

P.S.  A few years down the road and the WRX will still be under extended warranty and even the biggest of repairs will probably cost the owner $50 out of pocket ;^)