[Shotimes] Loss of power...

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:54:06 -0500

Shane,

First, welcome to the SHO internet community!  Second, have
you checked out the diagnostics section on shotimes.com?

http://www.shotimes.com

I have heard of this several times, but can't come up
immediately with the solution other than to check the
obvious things, all connectors/wires.

The big wire bundle that runs behind the motor, next to the
firewall, has a habit of rubbing against the ground bolt on
the back passenger end of the intake manifold.  When this
happens, all sorts of things can happen.  That bundle goes
to the computer.

Also, check to see if you have an aftermarket computer chip
in your computer.  This is under the dash, behind the glove
box.  Drop the glove box down, and look back and up.  The
computer is silver and about 1/2 the size of a cigar box.
In the side facing you is a port that should be covered with
tape.  If the port is open and something is sticking out,
that is an aftermarket computer chip.  Sometimes these can
cause the car to misbehave.  Disconnect the battery, pull
the chip out (sometimes it is held in with a bracket that
has one bolt that goes straight up to the airbox under the
dash) and seal up that hole with tape.  Then reconnect the
battery and start the car with EVERYTHING possible turned
off.  let the car idle till it settles down to the normal
idle (about 700 rpm) this should take about a minute or two.

if you don't find a chip, then try reseting the computer
anyway by disconnecting the battery and going through the
same start-up procedure.

Also, check a wire bundle that goes in the coil pack on the
front left corner (drivers side, near the radiator) of the
engine.  This wire connector is known to be damaged with
clutch work or other work, and if it works loose can cause
some misbehaving, but it usually feels like someone turning
the key off, instead of just cutting the engine in half.

If the problem dOES sometimes feel like someone is cutting
the key all the way off, two common problems are the Crank
or Camshaft position sensors.  But if they go, the engine
cuts all the way off, not just 1/2 power, but it can be
rapid cuts that may feel like 1/2 power sometimes.  When the
car cools, things are fine.

Hope some of this helps.  Others here I am sure will come up
with some more ideas.

Don Mallinson
President
SHO Club