[OT] [Shotimes] Premium sound system question

Jon Heese heese@digi-net.com
Fri, 01 Oct 2004 14:32:41 -0400

Yeah, audiophiles love to claim that MP3's are of inferior quality when
compared to standard audio CDs.  Technically, there is less information
bit for bit in an MP3 than the same song in standard audio CD format
(something like 10 times, if I'm not mistaken), so there should be less
data "resolution" when playing and MP3.  Luckily, the designers of the
MP3 compression protocol did a good job optimizing the data.

I have challenged my three audiophile friends to a Pepsi Challenge-style
to see if they could tell the difference between the audio CD version
and my *properly encoded* MP3 version (at 128kbps/44kHz) of several
different songs.  So far, no one has been able to tell the difference.

If your MP3's are made correctly (which is becoming more and more
automated now anyway) from high-quality source data, you will not notice
any quality difference between audio CD and MP3 CD.  I have a first gen
MP3 CD head unit in my 95 GL, and it's like having a 10-disc in-dash
changer.  Crystal clear on the entire frequency band.

 - Jon