[Shotimes] Q on installing pistons

Jim and Debbie Leyden jndleyden@comcast.net
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 20:15:02 -0400

Using the wooden handle of a mallet or hammer is the generally accepted
method for installing pistons.
No, they won't just slide in, you have to use some force.
Three piece rings are supposed to have the gaps spaced 120 degrees apart.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Ian Fisher
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 12:49 PM
To: techsho@topica.com; shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] Q on installing pistons

I installed a piston and rod today. How easily should
the piston "fall" into the bore as it leaves the ring compressor? And if it
makes some noises, that's ok, right? (I think it was the compressor buckling
since it's just a thin aluminum band)

I must have taken the piston out of the compressor
about 20 times to see if I had broken any rings or
shifted them too much. I am just overly paranoid.

Rings and bore were oiled so that's not a problem. I
had to use the wooden handle of a rubber mallet to
heavily tap the piston down the bore. I assume that's
ok?

Now that it's on the crank, I can rotate the crank and everything moves
easily, nothing seems caught up on anything. I just don't know how it should
"feel" to install a piston properly. I don't want to break a ring and not
find out until the engine is running in the car.

Oh-the three piece oil ring on the bottom-Is it ok if
the gaps are closer than 90 degrees apart for all 3
pieces? They are more like 15 degrees apart but I
can't seem to move them easily. The other two rings
are spaced evenly with regard to their ring gaps so
that shouldn't be a problem

thanks
Ian
blue 3.2, V1, 5 to go

Once the piston was in the bore and it was

---