[Shotimes] RE: Q on installing pistons

Ian Fisher dataflash@yahoo.com
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 20:28:31 -0700 (PDT)

Everyone
Thanks for your help. I have 3 pistons installed so I
know I am doing it properly. I did notice that it was
getting more difficult to crank the motor which I
attributed to the new rings. I thought that it was a
good thing. :)

As I called it quits for the day, I remembered that I
checked everything except for the orientation of the
oil control ring for pistons 2 and 3 (groove faces
down on the Hastings). I am 99.9% sure they are fine
but for peace of mind, I will probably remove them
tomorrow just to check (easier now than later).
Concerning my 3 piece oil ring-It is probably in my
best interest to see if I can increase the distance
between the gaps of each ring. My uneducated guess was
that blowby past the bottom ring wouldn't matter as
much as blowby past the oil control ring and the
compression ring but I should probably increase the
distance between the gaps on each ring)

I hate to think that anyone is learning anything from
me (haha) but I found it easier to place the ring
compressor on the piston with the piston skirt sitting
partially in the bore. Hands down, this beats trying
to hold the piston with one hand, holding the
compressor with the other and finding a way to crank
the compressor closed while everything is oily and
slippery.

..am using 3/8" fuel line on the rod bolts but one
piece keeps slipping off and falling to the ground. If
only I had more hands. :)

So as it stands now, I have 3 pistons installed and 6
to be installed tomorrow. :)

It's funny-I have gone so overboard making sure that
everything is clean that I have created the largest
toxic waste mess of fresh oil, WD40, assembly lube and
brake cleaner. Clean? yes-Messy? Very!

Ian

http://click.topica.com/caacHM3b1dhxAb60UMga/PermissionData

http://click.topica.com/caacHM9b1dhxAb62fTTf/PermissionData