[Shotimes] Re: turbos and stuff ...

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:24:11 -0400

I have the Legacy GT Limited Wagon, with the manual 5-speed (the automatic
is also a 5-speed). Virtually every option except the automatic and all of
the roof rack options (no roof rack on mine except the side bars that come
standard). My sticker is $31,543.

Re the pricing. Your dealer is a rip-off. The new Legacy can be purchased
for near-invoice, as can the STi, as I understand.

When the STi (and similar Mitsu Evo) came out last year, they were hailed as
incredible bargains for the money (both are in the $30-31K range).
Outstanding performance and handling for not a lot of money.

The new Legacy GT was tested in the October C&D and R&T. The pricing is
right in line with other cars in it's class. In fact, compared to the
similarly-priced Acura TSX, IMHO the Legacy GT is a bargain, as the TSX is
only FWD, and is 1.6 seconds slower in the 1/4 mile (in both the C&D and R&T
tests). Now, to be beat by a couple of tenths is getting whupped.
One-point-six seconds is a thorough ass-kicking....you would need binoculars
to read the license plate of the car that beat you!! When compared to other
performance sedans like the Altima/Maxima/G35, the pricing is comparable.
When compared to other AWD performance sedans, like the 330i, S60r, G35, it
is LESS money.

Your statement about last year's car being $8K less is fallacious. That's
just like saying "Gee, last year in 1988 I could buy a Taurus for $12,000,
and now they want $22,000 for the 1989 SHO!!". The Legacy GT is not the same
car that it was last year. May use the same "GT" name, but it's not even
close to the car offered in 2004. Apples and oranges.

Obviously, the stereo is a matter of opinion. I got the subwoofer option,
and to my ears, the stereo in the Legacy sounds great to me, and will suit
my needs just fine.

BTW, I did a quick pricing on the TL that you mentioned. I get over $38,000
sticker on it, and it's still only FWD, and the car mag tests have
complained about the torque steer with the 270 through the front wheels. Not
saying it isn't a nice car, but it is still a chunk of change higher than
the Legacy GT....actually more comparable to the 3301, AWD G35, and a bit
less than the 300 HP AWD S60R (which actually was my serious 2nd choice).
The TL won't 0-60 anywhere near the STi, closer to the Legacy GT. Now, let's
run 0-60 in the wet.........

I believe you mean the SRT4 Neon. Again, a FWD performance car, but there is
a reason why it costs around $20K. Quality is not close to the Legacy (or
any other cars in the Legacy's class). The SRT4 appears to be a bit quicker
in the 1/4, but it's a basic tin box. Sorry, it is not even a car that I
would remotely consider. Maybe if I was 24 years old and not 54 years
old.........and I know 24-year-olds that wouldn't want one, either.