[Shotimes] Premium sound system question

Carl Prochilo gr8sho@adelphia.net
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 15:37:48 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Ron, Don't knock it until you tried it.  I bought my 92 SHO 12 years ago
with a 10 disc changer in the trunk.  I didn't think life could EVER get
any better.  Even with multiple cartridges.  My 2000 Lincoln LS had an
in-dash 6 disc changer.  Seemed like another good idea, but again that
turned out to be too limiting.

The iPod as a personal device provides a lot more flexibility.  I can take
it with me on the plane, or use my DLO dock and run it in my car.  No
wires and I run through the FM tuner.  Eventually I will have a head unit
that accepts the 3.5mm mini-jack that will allow for a direct hookup.  Or,
I will succumb to BMW and use their built-in integration so that I can use
the car's controls to operate the iPod directly.

The 2.5" harddisk will continue increase in capacity to the point where it
will be able to hold most of my music collection which is in excess of
200GB now.

If you're in the mood to listen to Pink Floyd, just create a playlist and
you instantly have several hours of that music.  Want to listen to
Beatles, and I mean ALL of the Beatles, same thing.
--
Cheers,
Carl Prochilo

On Fri, October 1, 2004 12:09 pm, Ron Porter said:
> And you then have a (IMHO) poor-looking external hookup in the dash
area, much like the setup for aftermarket satellite radios.

> Maybe when MP3 is integrated into the factory unit, along with satellite
radio, I'll then consider them. For now, the CD changer in the trunk and
the
> cassette player hidden behind the faceplate suit me just fine. Although the
> new car has the 6-CD changer in the dash, I will miss the lack of a
cassette
> player!!
>
> MP3 players remind me of the old Springsteen line about cable TV (500
channels and nothing to watch), except "10,000 songs and nothing to
listen to"!!