MP3 Formats....was: RE: [Shotimes] Premium sound (getting OT)

Barry Hayes Barry@kingcon.com
Tue, 05 Oct 2004 04:10:35 -0400

A few considerations on in dash dvd. In most states it is illegal to
have a tv-movie player  installed so that the driver can watch it while
the car is in motion. Even the aftermarket diy units carry that warning.
(Bad enough people are eating breakfasat and reading while driving, let
alone watching tv)
Also a standard dvd is 4.7 gig of data. the current cost for 4x blanks
is just over a dollor. I know, I just bought a 25 pack of Sonys for
$29.99 at staples. Also, dvd-r is far more compatible than the + r
version. It is the preferred media for Mac burners.
Finaly, pioneer has just come out with a 16 speed duel layer burner.
Although no duel layer media is yet available in the USA, it soon will
be (but expensive). Pioneer is the OEM dvd burner for macs. I just
installed one in an exterior firewire case and it works fine with toast
(or easy cd-dvd creator for those on the pc dark side). About $150.00 at
stores like Best Buy but cheaper if you search the net. Sony, plextor,
and others also make good burners.
My own opinion is that an mp3 capable cd walkman player hooked into the
car stereo either by fm transmitter or hardwired is the way to go for
cost effectiveness and convience. You can move it from car to car, the
media is dirt cheap so if it is damaged no biggie, and each cd can hold
over 100 songs at a quality level that at least my 54 year old ears find
acceptable in a moving car. But then I think there is more to listening
to music than cranking the bass up so loud it shakes the bus stopped at
the traffic light next to you.
I'm not worried about 2005 car stereos since I doubt I will be able to
aford a 2005 car until around 2015.

Barry Hayes

--
"It's all in the mind ya know"- George Harrison