[Shotimes] crankshaft endplay

Ian Fisher dataflash@yahoo.com
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:58:30 -0700 (PDT)

Has anyone ever measured their crankshaft end play?
(If your response is in inches or feet, we aren't
talking about the same thing) haha-no dirty comments

anyway-I just got a crank scraper for the SHO. I will
probably install it. I was glad to see that the
instructions call for at least .040 clearance between
the scraper and the crank. I think that max spec is
somewhere around .030 for end play. I installed new
thrust bearings and haven't measured my end play
(probably won't either). I was wondering if anyone
ever found end play to be grossly out of spec. I'm
sure the scraper will be fine but at some point down
the road when the thrust bearings wear, the potential
does exist for the crank to contact the scraper.
Hypothetically. I'm not too worried about it but I
thought that I'd ask. I know that some cars come from
the factory with scrapers and don't normally have
issues like the one that I am thinking about.

Thanks
Ian