[Shotimes] How to get 300HP from your 3.0L SHO engine

Mike Murphy murphymike@hotmail.com
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:23:36 +0000

Put a 75 shot on the car.   With an upgrade fuel pump and a used $350 zex
kit you can get close to 260 or so.  I think a stock motor will be fine with
a 100 shot as well.

We had a local SHO guy run many many bottles on a stock motor with a 175
shot.  He blew the piston juicing in 5th running a bike.    Never juice in
fifth.

Murph

From: cmichaelo@optonline.net
To: shotimes <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shotimes] How to get 300HP from your 3.0L SHO engine
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:47:45 -0400

OK this is always fun.  How much HP do we get from each mod in a 3.0L
engine? (This of course precludes adding displacement....:)

What so fun about this is that it quite easy to increase the HP of this
engine without affecting the cars usefulness as a daily driver and also
without taking an equity loan on your house. You can probably do the below
modifications for ~$5000 + labor.

The HP numbers below are estimated based on the assumption that all
modifications are initially installed in the car (thus producing 300HP).
Then I take one modification away and "estimate" the HP drop.

                                                Subtotal
Base setup:        220HP
                                                    220HP
Rotating mass (external):
UDP:                     5HP
8lbs flywheel          2HP
                                                    227HP
Exhaust:
HiFlow Y-pipe:       10HP
2 1/2" catback:        5HP
                                                    242HP
Intake:
77mmMAF + CAI +
69mmTB:              12HP
BBB + EH +
porting:                 15HP
+20 CAMs:           15HP
                                                    284HP
Electronics:
WideBand HEGO +
Tweecer:               15HP
                                                    299HP
Lubrication:
Amsoil 5W30:         1HP
                                                    300HP

There are other things one can do, but that will affect the usability of the
car as a family sedan, namely:

Intake:
+40 CAMs            10HP (assuming a +20 base)

Rotating mass (internal):
Forged crank +
rods + pistons:     10HP
                                                    320HP

For a grand total of 320HP.

And there are probably other tricks too, such as flipping the [forged]
pistons 180deg, lowering friction of all turning parts by properly coating
them, etc.

What do you think the HP numbers should be???

Michael
94MTX,green,BOS+,Koni/Intrax,Baer,Corbeau
SHO items for sale: http://hometown.aol.com/cmichaelo/for_sale.html