[Shotimes] How to get 300HP from your 3.0L SHO engine

Carl Prochilo gr8sho@adelphia.net
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:29:16 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

I forgot about that story, but as Mark said, breaking the 300HP barrier
requires significantly more effort than what the basic BOS stuff gives.
And from what I can tell, you're not going to go much past that number.
I'm not knocking the number.  I wish I had it.  But it does require a lot
of cost/effort, and what might be even worse than that is post install
maintenance (ie. leaky injectors).

To put this all in perspective, an F1 engine has 3.0L displacement, albeit
via 10 cylinders, is normally aspirated, and makes 1000HP.
--
Cheers,
Carl Prochilo

On Thu, October 21, 2004 12:25 pm, Don Donelson said:
> carl
>
> My first bad boy motor .. naturally aspirated with everything on it
> including high compression ... was dynoed at 245-250 at the wheels ..
>
> Since than .. Phil S bought the car and found some issues with the wiring
> harness ... ie o2  sensors ... not reading correctly .. which makes sense
> .. since i had ted b at the tuning session .. and every change he made to
> the a/f ratio ... didnt make alot of difference.
>
> Also ... there were some injectors .. that were sucking air too ... so
> properly tuned .. I think that car could have been as high as 250 to 260
> hp at the wheels.
>
> dond

> From: "Carl Prochilo" <gr8sho@prochilo.myserver.org>
> Date:  Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:20:55 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
>
>>You'd have to get about 250HP to the wheels (assuming 17% loss due to the
>>MTX-IV) to make 300HP at the crank.  You cannot statically add individual
>>mods and expect the interaction of them to sum like that.  If someone has
>>built a car like this and has proof via a Dynojet graph, I'd like to see
>>it and the list of mods.
>>--
>>Cheers,
>>Carl Prochilo
>>92 Ultra Red Crimson
>>
>>On Thu, October 21, 2004 11:47 am, cmichaelo@optonline.net said:
>>> OK this is always fun.  How much HP do we get from each mod in a 3.0L
>>> engine? (This of course precludes adding displacement....:)
>>>
>>> What so fun about this is that it quite easy to increase the HP of this
>>> engine without affecting the cars usefulness as a daily driver and also
>>> without taking an equity loan on your house. You can probably do the
>>> below
>>> modifications for ~$5000 + labor.
>>>
>>> The HP numbers below are estimated based on the assumption that all
>>> modifications are initially installed in the car (thus producing
>>> 300HP).
>>> Then I take one modification away and "estimate" the HP drop.
>>>
>>>                                                Subtotal
>>> Base setup:        220HP
>>>                                                    220HP
>>> Rotating mass (external):