[Shotimes] Semi-OT: Repainting body cladding emblems

Jon Heese heese@digi-net.com
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:49:03 -0400

Alright, so the exterior of my '95 GL has seen better days, and I'm
planning a long-term reconditioning. One of the things that I'm kinda
stuck on is the printed emblem on the front driver and passenger door
body cladding. It's about 75% rubbed off on my passenger side and just
about totally gone on the driver's side (I have no idea how it got this
bad... car washes?).

So I noticed that the font is identical to that of the center caps of my
wheel covers (I have the two-piece 8-hole covers on plain steel wheels),
so I did a pencil rubbing and penned the outline, so as soon as I scan
this and reduce it (the printed emblem is a *bit* scaled down from the
wheel caps), I'll have the makings of a decent stencil to re-paint the
"TAURUS" part.

Ah, now the catch.... the "GL" part. First off, based on the mods I've
done to the car (SE crystalline headlights, SHO leather wheel, SHO
cluster, SE front buckets/console), I think it qualifies for SE status.
And at this point, redoing "GL" wouldn't be any easier than "upgrading"
to "SE".  Anyone have a digital (or digitalized, i.e. scanned analog)
copy of the body cladding SE?  Turns out not to be the easiest thing to
find. I could kludge it, but I'd like it to match 100% stock. Maybe I
can find an SE around town and bring some tracing paper while they're
not looking. =)

Anyone ever done this before? Any ideas? Suggestions? TIA.

- Jon Heese