[Shotimes] How to get 300HP from your 3.0L SHO engine

Mark Nunnally Mark Nunnally" <marknunnally@JoiMail.com
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:02:00 -0400

> If you do it n/a, it most definitely WILL affect the daily usefulness.
Can't
> get something for nothing, especially when you move the torque curve
around
> to favor high-rpm operation. This is one of the touchy problems with
trying
> to put stouter cams in a small displacement engine in a heavy car with no
> gearing options.

For sure.

That being said, I will say I was actually a big suprised after putting the
+40 cams in the 89 at the amount of low/mid range.  Going to the track
loaded with tires, tools, jack, supplies, etc...is for the most part at or
above normal SHO weight.  Buzzing around town in lower gears/rpms wasn't
that bad.  Motor chugged along pretty well.  Granted this is a 3.2L, a 3.0L
may not fare quite as well.

My biggest (only) complaint with the cams is the reduced hot oil pressure,
from the modified cam journals (only thing I can think of)

Frankly, for open track, sheer high rpm torque making, we need a new intake!
Need 6 individual TB valves per intake port, fed by a single open box type
plenum.  Save 30 lbs and pick up some high rpm torque.  The SHO intake is
designed to make torque over a broad rpm range (2k-6k).  Not 6k-8k.

mark