[Shotimes] ATX flywheel/flexplate?

Jim and Debbie Leyden jndleyden@comcast.net
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:50:51 -0400

Oooohhh  Tough question!

And of course the answer is Yes! And no...

Since the torque converter flex plate is simply a stamping it really can't
be made much lighter.  The mass is in the torque converter itself and all of
the fluid it contains.  So, in theory you could reduce the amount of mass by
reducing the amount of fluid in the torque converter by making it smaller.
However making it smaller will have the side effect of raising the stall
speed of the converter.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Jason Hartberger
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 8:37 PM
To: Shotimes Mailing List
Subject: [Shotimes] ATX flywheel/flexplate?

I know you can grind the flywheel of a manual flywheel down to get a lighter

weight or put a different one in there - whatever - but can you do the same
thing to the ATX 'flex plate'? I'm genuinely curious here... I have no idea
whether that is realistic or not... would it have any effect? does it even
do the same thing?

please pardon the really weird questions of late... I've been meaning to ask

these for a while.

Jason

---